Sunday, August 5, 2012

A post about Chick-Fil-A, but not really

"Opinions are like butt holes.  Everyone has them and most of them stink."  

Which is why this post isn't really about the current debate on Chick Fil A, what its CEO believes or who the company donates money to.  Heaven knows, we've all seen PLENTY of commentary on that.

**raise your hand if you are soooo over people blabbing about a fast food chain**

RAISES HAND

So why am I writing about Chick-Fil-A?

Because this really stood out to me:
Crowds outside a Chick-Fil-A in Naperville on Wednesday. (Credit: Amy Hamilton)
source

And this:
Crowds stand in line at the Chick-fil-A off of Shearn St. on Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012, in Houston, TX. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a Baptist minister, declared it national "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day", after the chicken chain came into the spotlight with its owner's comments on gay marriage last month. ( J. Patric Schneider / For the Chronicle ) Photo: J. Patric Schneider, Houston Chronicle / © 2012 Houston Chronicle
source

And this:
REGION Crowds turn out to show support for Chick-fil-A
source

Crowds and crowds of people, engaged and on fire, wanting to take a stand or make a difference.  And I wondered:  "What if...what if on one day we all got THIS excited and this moved to DO SOMETHING about child hunger?  Or clean water?  Wow.  We could accomplish so much!"

  • What if we banded together and, say on September 1st, we took the cost of a Chick-Fil-A meal and donated it to feeding a starving baby through Samaritan's Purse.  $9 feeds a baby for a week.
  • What if, we all lined up on one day to work towards filling the shelves at our church's food pantry?
  • What if, we all had streets shut down and crowds formed so that we could volunteer an hour at the local elementary school?
  • What if, we said, "This month I spent $20 supporting CFA (or "didn't spend any money supporting them" --depending on your personal stance) and taking my family there for lunch, so next month I'm committing to standing up for the poor in my community by donating that same amount to XYZ."  
WOW!   Can you imagine what could happen!?  If we all got so excited and spurred to action and kept the momentum going, we could do  SO  MUCH!

***I'm not praising or condemning anyone for eating at or not eating at Chick Fil A.
***This blog is Switzerland (neutral) on the issue.
***I have, and welcome, people of all sexual orientations, nationalities, faiths, and so forth as readers on this blog.

So there it is.  When people come together for a common goal, it can be a powerful thing!

I'm not asking you to eat at Chick-Fil-A or abstain from eating there.  Do what you feel is right in regards to that and I'll love you either way.

I am asking you to consider making September 1st a day of making an additional contribution to a cause you believe in. I know that many (all?) of my friends and readers are fantastically generous people, always giving to others.  You guys put me to shame really.  How many times I have been humbled by seeing how generous one of you are to others!  

Who will commit to joining me on September 1st to make one additional donation or hour of volunteering?



6 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post. Thank you. YES! I've marked September 1 on my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post for a great cause Tammy! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful thought inspiring post, yes I will join you, on Sept 1st I will send a check to Victory Kitchen, a local place that serves free hot meals, 7 days a week. They ask no questions, nor do they require any proof of income. If you are hungry, you are welcome there. I usually try to send a check every month, but in Sept. I will double my usual amount.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Thank you! I totally agree with you! What if we took all this righteous indignation and really put it to use to make a difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if, indeed! I think with your water warrior, Sullivan love, and now this that you have a gift and I'm excited to watch you and join you in using it!

    ReplyDelete

Happy to have you here at the Zucchini Summer Blog! :)